Thursday 26 January 2017

Strength and Challenges in Communicating

Key factors to communicate effectively and efficiently are time and practice. Communication is a skill which requires a lot of time to polish. I believe that only through constant practice and training will then help improve in communication skills. As for me, I have no problem communicating with others or even in formal events. My past experience in the army as well as my work experience have shape me to communicate relatively well with others. I do not face much problems having to speak in front of a crowd, I could convey my massage effectively to others in order to get the job done. There are many challenges faced when communicating with others. The greatest challenged I face when communicating was to generate the proper words to simplified the massage. I know that I do not have a strong foundation in my vocabulary therefore I sometimes it is very difficult to speak the idea. 

Two objectives set to improve my communication skills will be firstly to improve my knowledge of vocabulary subsequently work on my sentence structure when speaking. To be able to speak in a short and concise manner, it requires a vast knowledge of vocabulary. Sometimes, it is extremely difficult to think of the word in that split second which can be quite frustrating.  I believe there many methods to improve in their communication skills. However, one of the many ways to improve communication which I personally feel that it’s effective is to read and listen to the radio. I think reading news article or magazine such as Forbes or business times exposes me to a wide variety of new words and also helped me to improve my sentence structure in writing. Listening to English Channel on the radio allows me to listen to how they speak and how they communicate with their own counterpart. Another radio channel which is helpful to improve is listening to BBC news. 

7 comments:

  1. Good Day Jin Ren! It is very impressive that you are confident of your communication skillset, especially public speaking, as most people are terrified of speaking to a large audience.

    "I could convey my massage effectively to others in order to get the job done. There are many challenges faced when communicating with others. The greatest challenged I face when communicating was to generate the proper words to simplified the massage" It is a very interesting method, but evidently a very successful one to massage people in order to get what you want from them.

    In all seriousness, vocabulary makes you sound more sophisticated, but in the words of the venerable Professor Liew Pak San, it is nothing more than "beautifully decorated rubbish". You do not need a vast vocabulary in order to speak short and concise like you want. A great example of this is Singlish. Singlish was built around saying what you want as fast as possible, but it does not at all sound professional. To me, as long as you're able to communicate what you're trying to say, that's all that matters. That's why it's more important to know the basic words than all the flowery language that professionals use. It is very impressive that you are taking efforts to try and improve yourself through various means and media. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing your progress in the weeks to come!

    -Kenryk Abraham Chacko Ky Fu
    expertcommunicator.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jin Ren, it is very nice that you have the ability could speak in front crowd people. And this is the factor I want to improve during this course period. Hope you can teach me some hit about it. I also agree about the things you say about the vocabulary, I also trying to do more on it, and here are some tips share with you. Firstly, like you say, i strongly agree that the most important is read more,The more you read, especially novels and literary works, but also magazines and newspapers, the more words you'll be exposed to. As you read and uncover new words, use a combination of attempting to derive meaning from the context of the sentence as well as from looking up the definition in a dictionary. Secondly, you can play some word games,Word games that challenge you and help you discover new meanings and new words are a great and fun tool in your quest for expanding your vocabulary. Examples include crossword puzzles, anagrams, word jumble, Scrabble, and Boggle. Last but not least, try to learn a word per day. developing your own list of words to learn is a great technique many people use to learn new words. Hope both of us can improve our communication skill in this course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jin Ren! I like that you have good confidence to speak in a crowd with ease, but i feel that the issue that you have about now being to simplify the message a big one. To some people, hearing your honest words and feelings seems like a better choice instead of hearing a short and sweet message that you are trying to get across, as they will feel that you are being friendly with them in your own way. You can try to improve your communication skills through speaking with people more and learning from how they talk instead of listening to online, as sometimes things you hear over the radio or television may not always be true or correct, whereas seeing how someone speaks shows their true nature.

    On a side note, really? BBC news? that's interesting.
    Oh and for your background song, you should link with a plain lyric song, not from the MV.

    -Ernest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello jin ren, being able to speak infront of a crowd is one of the most important skills that you possess which i do not have.Hopefully you are able to impart some of this skills during this course period. In terms of aiming to improve your vocabulary, i would strongly suggest you read more as it will benefit you in the long run or even watching more video such as vocabulary english educational video is also good. Hope that the both of us is able to improve our english standard together

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jin Ren, I agree with you that communication is a skill which require time to polish. Just like what Marcus had commented (Commentator above me����). You got the capabilities to present in front of the crowd. Hope you could disclose your potential during this course period.
    Additional, another way to improve on your vocabulary, you can also try to learn a new word each day. By doing so the number of learnt word will grow exponentially just like e^x.

    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
    teckcheng

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jin Ren.
    For the short time that i get to know you, I have seen you motivating fellow peers and leading them towards the right path. I feel that you have a strong sense of leadership and you are able to clearly communicate your thoughts. In my opinion, I think you have present your points well to your audience. You have mentioned that you are unable to find specific words to represent your thoughts. However, I feel that words are just a container for your expression. If you really want to expand your vocabulary, you can read more fictional stories that uses a variety of words to express a specific stuff.

    Regards
    Hong Kai

    ReplyDelete